We in the FileMaker community have enjoyed a period of relative calm when it comes to data breaches; our platform is not widely noticed among professional hackers (but also not completely unnoticed). This is called, by some, “security by obscurity,” and it’s a really, really bad thing to rely on.
The threat landscape is getting worse every day. Here are some frightening facts I recently heard in a presentation by a FileMaker representative:
- In 2014, there were 79,790 confirmed hacking incidents – a 25% increase over 2013.
- There were 2,122 confirmed breaches in 2014
- 60% of small-to-medium businesses are targeted, at some point.
- Five out of six large companies are targeted.
- 60% of small-to-medium companies close within 6 months of a breach. 72% close within 24 months.
The great news is that the FileMaker platform gives us great tools to secure our data, including encryption, SSL, and other locking methods. We at Alchemy are well-versed in the potential threats to your sensitive data. We can examine not only the potential for external threats, but also potential attacks from within. Contact us today for a FileMaker security audit.